How Toxic are your HouseHold Cleaning Supplies?
When consumers buy commercial household cleaning products, they expect them to do one thing: clean! A wide array of scents, soaps, detergents, bleaching agents, softeners, scourers, polishes, and specialized cleaners for bathrooms, glass, drains, and ovens are used to keep homes sparkling and sweet-smelling. But while the chemicals in cleaners foam, bleach, and disinfect to make dishes, bathtubs and countertops gleaming and germ-free, these might be under the category of toxic household chemicals and may contribute to indoor air pollution, are poisonous if ingested, and can be harmful if inhaled or touched. Cleaning ingredients vary in the type of health hazard they pose. Some cause acute, or immediate, hazards such as skin or respiratory irritation, watery eyes, or chemical burns, while others are associated with chronic, or long-term, effects such as cancer.
Why should you Stay away from Toxic Household Cleaning Supplies?
Toxic Household chemicals can cause severe burns on eyes, skin and, if ingested, on the throat and oesophagus. Ingredients with high acute toxicity include chlorine bleach and ammonia, which produce fumes that are highly irritating to eyes, nose, throat and lungs, and should not be used by people with asthma or lung or heart problems. Harmful household cleaning products containing these two chemicals pose an added threat in that they can react with each other or other chemicals to form lung-damaging gases. Combining products that contain chlorine and ammonia or ammonia and lye produces chloramine gases, while chlorine combined with acids forms toxic chlorine gas.