Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Humidity: Changes in humidity have noticeable effect in the air. A high level of humidity causes moisture, and results in the growth of mould, dust mites and fungus. On the other hand, a low level of humidity results in dry air causing viruses to survive.
- Temperature: uncontrolled temperatures leads to uncomfortable living and working condition for the whole family, and reduces productivity. High temperature also worsens the effect of humidity and helps in the growth and multiplication of bacteria and impurities.
- Ventilation: Lack of proper ventilation and proper air circulation has a direct effect on the quality of inside air. Improper ventilation caused by shared building ducting, lack of professional AC duct cleaning and contaminated air also increase the chances of having an unhealthy indoor air environment.
Additionally, many pollutants and allergens such as dust, mold, spores, pollen, smoke particles and pet dander can deteriorate the quality of your air. Maintaining clean AC duct in places where you are spending long hours can be beneficial to your health, comfort, general well-being, and productivity. The pollutants in the AC duct might cause headaches, flu symptoms, red eyes, itchy nose, throat irritation, hay fever, and breathing difficulty. In several extreme cases, the bad AC air quality leads to asthma symptoms especially for pregnant women, babies, children and the elderly.
IAQ in UAE
UAE residents spend almost 90% of their time indoors, irrespective of the weather. Furthermore, the Middle East provides the perfect breeding conditions for many indoor impurities due to the extreme temperatures and humidity, continuous use of air conditioning, lack of proper ventilation and the frequent sand storms, surrounding construction dust and lack of professional AC duct cleaning companies. Facts
- According to the World Health Organisation, pollutant levels of indoor air may run two to five times higher than outdoor levels and 30% of buildings experience some form of sick building syndrome. Problems involving mold, mildew, fungi, and bacteria, stale air, poor ventilation, odors, and microbes are commonplace.
- The IAQ Protocol has now become a standard in some countries for the prevention bacteria, yeast and mold.
- Monitoring indoor air quality, ventilation, and air-conditioning of buildings across Dubai is high on Dubai Municipality awareness agenda to ensure having environmentally safe and healthy buildings
Below are some common misconceptions about mattress, sofa, carpet, curtain, upholstery cleaning that other cleaning and pest control companies in Dubai may practice:
- Steam cleaning/washing – Causes a clogging effect that encourages the existing impurities to grow and breed. This process also requires the mattress to dry fully, which could take up to 48 hours in direct sunlight
- Domestic vacuuming – Normal vacuuming of the mattress removes only up to 15% of the dust mite population, most of which spreads out in the room due to the traditional vacuum exhaust and filtration system
- Sprays and chemicals used by pest control companies to kill dust mites and bed bugs– Could be hazardous to your health when sprayed on surface where you sleep or sit (who would put chemicals on where we and our children sleep?!)
- Mattress isolating covers (Mattress protectors) – Covers will have more of an adverse effect because they block the ventilation of the mattress thus increasing temperature and humidity which foster the population of dust mites in the mattress